When we reflect on leaders who have led with love, people like Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, and Mother Teresa spring to mind immediately.
Their lives were shining examples of what great good comes when we start with love, continue with love, and do all things with love.
In celebration of Mother Teresa's life, here are eight inspirational quotes from her about love.
6 Inspiring Love Quotes from Mother Teresa
- "Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier."
- "Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love."
- "It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving."
- "Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing."
- "Go out into the world today and love the people you meet. Let your presence light new light in the hearts of people."
- "Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person."
And now for a beautiful story from Mother Teresa herself...
You see, some of my sisters used to work in Australia. On a reservation, among the Aborigines, there was an elderly man. I can assure you that you have never seen a situation as difficult as that poor old man's. He was completely ignored by everyone. His home was disordered and dirty.
I told him, "Please, let me clean your house, wash your clothes, and make your bed."
He answered, "I'm okay like this. Let it be."
I said again, "You will be still better if you allow me to do it."
He finally agreed. So I was able to clean his house and wash his clothes. I discovered a beautiful lamp, covered with dust. Only God knows how many years had passed since he last lit it.
I said to him, "Don't you light your lamp? Don't you ever use it?"
He answered, "No. No one comes to see me. I have no need to light it. Who would I light it for?"
I asked, "Would you light it every night if the sisters came?"
He replied, "Of course."
From that day on the sisters committed themselves to visiting him every evening. We cleaned the lamp, and the sisters would light it every evening.
Two years passed. I had completely forgotten that man.
He sent this message:
"Tell my friend that the light she lit in my life continues to shine still."
I thought it was a very small thing. We often neglect small things.